Pages

7.12.2013

The Art of Quilting

I can't believe it is already almost the middle of July, I swear there was snow here yesterday and then I turned around and it was summer.  Incredible!

It has been a bit crazy around here, we welcomed our nephew Loïc into the world in March, which meant I was already behind on making a baby gift.  Because, you know, that's how I do things.

I decided since my sister in law (and all of her sisters) are so fabulous at knitting and crocheting that I would branch out from my usual knitted baby gift wear and try something different.  So one day while cruising pinterest (damn pinterest and all the wonderful things posted on there), I saw this gorgeous baby quilt.

Image credit: http://www.pinknewbornservices.com sadly I couldn't not find the original image source. 

And of course my brain thought "well that looks easy enough", even though a)there was no online tutorial and b) I had never, ever quilted in my life.  In my head it was a bunch of straight lines and some hearts. Easy.

I had some vintage fabric hanging around from my grandma's house that I decided would look great, as well as some grey quilting cotton from a previous school project.  So all I needed was some backing fabric, batt, binding and some more quilting fabric for a bit more variety.  I could do this in a weekend or two, max.

Wrong.

It took me almost 3 months to finish this quilt, which (even though it isn't the prettiest or most refined quilt around) I am quite proud of it.  I had no idea how hard it is to sew a heart, but I caught on eventually.  The last three hearts look really nice.

I probably should have ironed the quilt before photographing it, but that's asking a bit much don't you think?







I created my own binding from the same material as the backing, which was really easy thanks to a tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew.



I had a lot of fun with this quilt, my next goal will be a hand stitched quilt since I can only imagine that that would be infinitesimally more difficult, complicated and time consuming.  But that's what 8 months of winter weather is for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment